Everything was fine and dandy with the small exception of bad fire wood until we went to bed night #1. The rain soon came and Enoch woke up to a wet bum- yes the rain was pooling under our tent and had soaked through his pad. So after covering the pad with garbage bags and chucking to myself for a second we went back to sleep. Next I woke up to the soggiest bum of the year. Apparently I was not immune from this terrible event and the back of my sweats were totally water logged, it was nearly morning so after changing out of the nasty sweats I shared E's pad. Not to mention the pools of water on the outer edges of the test.
So we learned a few valuable things
1- don't camp when it is going to rain
2- make sure the tarp under your tent is the same size (not bigger) than the tent
3-invest in a water proof tent -I'm guessing the tent was supposed to be waterproof, but let me clear things up once and for all, it was not
4- dig a ditch around your tent, whatever it takes I guess
After spending the morning drying off our belonging (our clothing bag even got wet) and looking like complete losers/ hillbillies / prepared people (take your pick) we were able to continue on with our camping adventure
Aside from our weather mishap we really did enjoy our time at Lake Piru. The camp sites were seriously close together, but with 5/6 of the spots empty it was not too big of a deal, the grass was green, the flowers in bloom, we got a hike in, played Frisbee golf, and took the maiden voyage of our dutch oven. We got the dutch oven for Christmas and after some coaching from my sister Rachel and her husband Tim - our meal was a complete success (after they all they won a dutch oven cookout and have the dutch oven bolo sp? ties to prove it.)
So without too many battle wounds, many memories, and a few laughs that completes our Spring Break Camping Trip
Glad to hear you had a good experience camping. Ty & I have NEVER gone camping, with or without family. It will be an interesting experience when we do.
ReplyDeleteGood work! Grant and I are planning on our first camping trip this summer. Thanks for the tips!
ReplyDeleteLook what I came across, all because of facebook. Your blog! You've been holding out on me! :)
ReplyDeleteLove the camping story. Really sorry you got wet though. And can you tell me where this lovely Lake Piru is? I'm thinking the Jones need to head that way one weekend.
Ah, I love adventures like that! It sounds like a blast. :) And I'm glad you're enjoy the Spring Break, no BYU :)
ReplyDelete