Wednesday, October 27, 2010

This is for you, My Poor Neglected Blog

I am sorry. It is hard to justify blogging for me when I know that I have a group project to be working on or more reading to complete. Anyhow life is great! I love my program and the 9,000 major changes, road blocks, and other stresses seam worth it.

There is a lot to know about health care and a lot of hard questions to answer: is health care a right? what is the difference between the demand for health and the demand for medical services? (-they are very different you see, the demand for health wants fewer sick day not necessarily medical care) why does the United States have a medical system based on sick care instead of trying to keep people healthy? Which is better in health care the market justice or social justics system? If you would change our current health system how would you do it? What is the difference between a HMO, PPO, and indemnity policy? How should health care be rationed? If everyone in the U.S has health care how are we going to have enough providers to fulfill their needs?

My mind is constantly plagued with questions like these. To begin the program I was a total proponent of the market justice system of health care. America is built on the concept of the economic good, little government interference, and working hard to get where you want. I hated that as consumer in health care we have to pay for the expenses of the un-insured. My perspective has changed throughout this program however. It took a comment for a member of my class to realize that Christ cared for the sick and afflicted- he didn't care how prosperous or poor an individual was. We have a responsibility to maintain social jutice in health care as well.

The medical system has a unique ethical obligation very different from any other industry. You cannot turn away someone who is in dire need. I would like to think the principle of supply and demand could accurately regulate the price of medical care. However, the market is handicapped as the physician not the patient is the agent and insurance desensitizes the consumer and provider from the price of services. Therefore a certain amount of government regulation is needed.

I will stop rambling, but health care is complex and next time you go to criticize someone trying to mend or crippled health care system don't complain about how we got into the mess we are in (becuase the past is behind us) try to imagine what you would do.

On to other important matters. I have also been having a lot of fun playing around with my new camera. Because every post is better with pictures here are a few
here is my brother-in-law Alma with his gorgeous fiance Claudia (I am so excited for another sister in law) They put up with me taking their engagements, here is one I liked
the LA temple is always a good subject for photography, I am growing quite attached to it
Now I will end with some eye candy. This may be my finest work yet, not only is the picture good, but the man behind the picture is even better. I did something right

6 comments:

  1. Maybe you could explain between all those things you talked about, because I'm not quite sure the difference between each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this--what complex issues we have in our country. I'm glad you're loving your program and your camera! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are definitely some issues in the Health Care System that is for sure. We miss Utah Drs out here- we haven't been impressed with the clinics on our plan. Pictures are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marissa,

    I loved the post and you are doing a great job with your pictures. I am glad you are enjoying your program. I sure miss having you out here, but hope someday we will make it to Cali even if just for a visit. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete