After last years disappointing rejection from BYU's dietetics program my pride was wounded, so I decided to stick it to the man and prove it to myself that I could get accepted. Consequently, this year with absolutely zero intention to start the program at BYU in the fall, I applied. In about 45 minutes I concocted some pretty sweet information about myself (it was all true, don't worry) and cut and pasted a few sentences from past essays and voila- the finished application. My interview with the director went wonderfully and a week later I received an acceptance letter in the mail. Enoch has been a great supporter through it all, last year when I was not accepted Enoch used his secret ninja skills and had one of the full time employees at the shop deliver flowers to me while at the Urology Clinic. This year Enoch was their while I opened the letter and screamed like a little school boy in celebration, he's the best.
I triumphantly accepted the spot in the class as a back up in case plans change and now I am left to reflect on the event. Why is it that sometimes when you don't work very hard for things, you get them even though at a previous point in your life you worked your tail off with no such love? I guess I just don't always understand the direction that I am supposed to proceed in and so at times I am gently and other times forcefully corrected. Regardless, I have learned many things in the entire process. For one, my worth is not associated with the success, wealth, or prestige I gain in this life- It is innate and comes from the fact that I am a child of God. I also have a major tendency to rush through life instead of enjoying the little things, and recognizing all that I have. Finally, I have come to recognize how I best learn and have come to enjoy learning more. So the moral of my life is if you first don't succeed try, try, again and that is what I keep doing.
Nice moral to the story :) congrats by the way. Victory is always a bit sweeter when it wasn't gained before.
ReplyDeleteWe're glad to see you have a blog now! We found your blog through Tim and Rachel's. Congrats on dietetics.
ReplyDeleteMatt and Stacy
Congrats Marissa! Now you can't move because you need to stay to stick it to the man and prove you can pass the class!
ReplyDeleteWow, I don't know about you but I am very satisfied with your performance. Way to go Marissa! Sorry that I have been totally out of the loop and I just found out today. But I did always know you were a gem.
ReplyDelete