With the addition of Tim Clawson to the Bradshaw family Chinese New Years was started, my family loves new traditions and good food. So Enoch had big shoes to fill bring a bit of
We decided to make carne asada "skinny steak" with rice, corn tortillas, and mangoes. I had great expectations after my first experience of having it on our honeymoon in Coranda at Miguel’s Cocina and have been dreaming it since. Now, about actually making it- we enlisted Grandma Polo to be our master sensei. This tiny little 4 foot zero Peruvian woman took us to a local Hispanic market where we purchased the meat and then back to her home to make the sauce. She did not speak much English so I pretended to understand what was going on, but what I did understand is Latin cooking is very different from the cooking I know. Spices are tripled, and the best measuring utensil is obviously your hand. The recipe for the carne asada went something like this-
1 small handful and a little dump of pepper
1 small handful of cumin
big sprinkle of salt
3 large spoonfuls of garlic
little pour of vinegar
few cups of water
pour a little oil
secret ingredient - aji (directly from Peru)
Enoch and I were trying to remember how to do it in case we ever do it again, so hopefully from the accurate recipe I recorded from above all will go well.
As the night arrived we drove to my parents house and stalled for a bit, once I got the secret call from my dad saying they were almost home I took my family to the basement to start things off with a little Latin dancing. The plan being for my dad to come in on the dancing, while Rachel and Kennedy waited in the car for a few minutes and then they would come in to surprise everyone. I am afraid the dancing was a little forced, but everyone played along not knowing exactly what to think. My dad came in and was abnormally into the dancing as planned; however, the scene was nearly ruined when Ryan and Jared insisted on running upstairs to get the sombroes from the kitchen table (I was sure they would run into Rachel) but luck was on my side and with my frantic screams the problem was avoided and Rachel remained in the garage a bit longer. When Rachel and Kennedy joined the dancing in the basement the screams that I expected didn't happen, but everyone was confused trying to put the pieces together and eventually became ecstatic. It was so fun to be all together as a family again and I even made my first Angel Food cake to celebrate Rachel's birthday a day late.
Eventually Enoch I finished cooking the meal and it turned out amazing. Hooray for
Sunday, April 19, 2009
A Guatemalian party with a little Surprise
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well look at you go with the pictures! :) Glad to hear it is all going well!!! That party sounded like fun.
ReplyDeleteYeah for Guatimala day! If Rachel and Kennedy come every Guatimala day, couldn't everyday be Guatimala Day!
ReplyDeleteRyan Says, "That food was sooooooo good!... Thanks!"
ReplyDelete