Friday, January 29, 2010

Ode to Frugality

Living in a very expensive city and not having any income can pose some interesting dilemmas. It has been weird for Enoch and I not to have jobs for the past five months while going to school. At first all the adjusting to a new school system new place did not allow time for employment, but now it is time for me to get on top and find my place as a suga' mama.

I can say that I have learned a great deal from this experience. Here are some of my finanical thoughts as of late:

-the financial plan of just not spending any more than you have to is not realistic

-When being overly frugal if all you do is get frustrated at how carelessly others spend their money and how they don't deserve it- it is you in the wrong and not them (from experience)

-Frugality is fun when you let it be, for instance it allows you to anticipate the simple and not so simple things in life more, for instance eating out is a big deal to us, we are going on a "hot date' when this occurs

-Elder Hales in the April 2009 General Conferences gave a pointnet example of how having a goal in saving money makes things more meaningful, "When our boys were young, we had a family council and set a goal to take a “dream vacation” down the Colorado River. When any of us wanted to buy something during the next year, we would ask each other, “Do we really want to buy that thing now, or do we want to take our dream trip later?” This was a wonderful teaching experience in choosing provident living. By not satisfying our every immediate want, we obtained the more desirable reward of family togetherness and fond memories for years to come"

-earthly happiness does not come by material means, repeat, repeat, repeat

-there is nothing wrong with a $10 eating out budget a month and a $10 clothing allowance

-we must have a really strong testimony of education to go through all this trouble

-you can live in a home where the roof leaks, there is constant ant attacks, a never ending supply of dust, and no coach if it means you can save over $1,000 a month in rent

-this month's Relief Society message taught me that provident living is more than building your food storage and getting out of debt/ saving money. Julie Beck teaches, "We become self-reliant through obtaining sufficient knowledge, education, and literacy; by managing money and resources wisely, being spiritually strong, preparing for emergencies and eventualities; and by having physical health and social and emotional well-being."

The Lord is so watchful of our needs, he is present in all things and desires greatly to bless us, this principle has been demonstrated time after time as we receive pell grants and other random grants

6 comments:

  1. Oh the joys of living in california. Jon's lesson of poverty was that it is possible to bike 45 min to school every morning (heart of a champion, that one)in order to have a cheaper apartment in a neighboring city.
    The poor life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O I don't miss being poor... nor do I miss living in CA. However, I do have to say we don't live much different than when Ty was in college. In fact, we probably save more money since there is NO PLACE to spend money in Del Rio! I see it as a hidden blessing. Anyway, I automatically thought of the Feb VT message when I read your title :) I think its funny when people are like, "how do you live with one salary/one car/without this/that, etc.???" its really not that hard. In the grand scheme of things, we're just happy that we have each other, and that we are self reliant... and that we don't have to depend on others to pay for things we NEED.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck yes! You CAN do that! And we do it and usually turn out to be perfectly normal and contributing citizens... or so they say. Ahh... budgeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Marissa! I love the part about eating out--it is the same for us. Now that we have a car to move around in, everything is a treat-even going to the grocery store. I hope we never forget to savor the huge number of blessings we have--even in our poverty. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand! I can't tell you how much we love our "hot date" walking through Home Depot. HA HA HA! Lame I know but we love it! It is so fun to be poor with someone as opposed to being single and poor. You sound like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We totally understand. Last night Kaleb and I were talking about how happy we are even though we don't have anything material. I have realized that I create my own happiness and that true happiness is not contingent on mateial possesions. We love the lessons livin on love is teachin us!

    ReplyDelete