This is a tale about a bike, a birthday, a broken clavicle, two ambulance rides, 3 hospitals, a healthy baby, and ultimately a happy ending.
- Yesterday was Enoch's 28th birthday, to start the day Enoch mapped out a 30 mile bike ride that included a loop from our house, up Mulhulland Drive, and back so at 6:30am Enoch left to start his adventure.
- While riding down Mulhulland Hill Enoch slipped on some steel plates covering construction in the road and fell off his bike. He doesn't remember a whole lot about the fall but remembers crawling off the road after he fell.
- I received a call at 7:30 from an unknown number with Enoch telling me that he needed me to come and pick him up because he had fallen. I threw on some clothes, brushed my teeth, grabbed a piece of bread, and headed to go find Enoch when
- I got another call from the kind man who saw Enoch fall while on his morning walk telling me that that an ambulance had come and they were transporting him to the Sherman Oaks Hospital.
- Luckily the 10 and 405 Freeways were really clear and before long I was at the Hospital filling out paper work, calling my mom to tell her the story, waiting for the x-rays to be finished so I could see E, and preparing myself to be the responsible wife to take good care of her hurt husband.
 |
| I promise it looks worse then it was |
- Poor Enoch was all banged up and in a neck brace with bandages all over him and his cracked helmet between his legs (so grateful for that helmet)
- The doctor was super friendly, chill, and quick. Enoch's was fine but the xray showed that he had a non displaced distal fracture of his right clavicle and bruised ribs which he referred to as clinically broken. All was well, we felt really blessed that the damage was minimal and Enoch would soon be discharged when...
- While they were cleaning Enoch's wounds I started feeling really light headed. I was sitting so I tried to take some deep breaths and relax and the next thing I knew I was surrounded by nurses on a hospital bed, being barraged with questions such as what year was it, who our president was and the like, and receiving a liter of saline fluid. Apparently I was a bit jealous of all of the attention Enoch was receiving and wanted some attention of my own so obviously fainting is the clearly the best choice in this situation.
- Enoch first noticed that something was wrong with me and called my name when I didn't respond he called for me again and then starting calling for help. Within seconds I was lifted up and conviently placed on the empty bed next to Enoch. I wasn't out for more then 30 seconds; however, when they checked my blood pressure it had dropped to 70/ 40 (that's bad, by the way). After a few more minutes the admitting women that I just was asking for my insurance card and id. I called my mom laughing my head off to update her that I was now in the ER as well.
- Not to be outdone by Enoch, I was transported in a shiny ambulance to Valley Presbertian Hospital where they had labor and delivery services to be checked out.
- Poor Enoch with a sling on his right arm was left to fend for himself, find our car, and drive himself over to Valley Pres to now come to the aid of his perfectly fine and healthy wife at this point.
- While at Valley Pres, a well meaning yet seriously dramatic nurse from Panama attended to me and insisted I don't talk to much and shouldn't be jousted because of my fragile situation all the while Enoch is sitting in complete pain on a hospital chair next to me. When I fainted a shook a little bit and the nurse and doctor were concerned that I had a seizure. I had some blood tests taken and was transferred to another room.
- It was in this room that the nurse was congradulting herself that she had gotten myself check into the hospital. It was at that point that I that if she kept getting her way I wouldn't be leaving this hospital until the baby was out of me. In no uncertain terms I told her that there was no way I was going to have stay here 24 hours nor was I going to be induced.
- I called my OB and he was confident that I just fainted and was that all of the hype was not warranted so after the ultrasound and getting back my test results Enoch and I decided that we were getting out.
- At this point our nurse started going off about how I was going against Medical advice (AMA) and was going to go home and what a big deal this was, she was really excited to explain all of this to her student with her and said AMA a dozen times. We were quite the rebels leaving the hospital.
 |
| My collection of wristbands from the 2 hospitals |
- At 4:00 Enoch and I left the hospital and headed home. Enoch finally got a shower and was able to relax. It felt so good to be home- we felt so victorious, we ordered Thai Food, watched Tin Tin and relaxed
- We called my Dr. again and told him the entire story and asked him what he wanted us to do because we weren't opposed to being induced if that what was needed. He decided that we should go to Saint Johns that evening and be monitored for an hour and if everything looked good at that point we could go home.
- Alma, Claudia, John, and Baby Emma came over and brought us a cake to celebrate Enoch's birthday. It was so nice of them to come and help make the last few hours of Enoch's Birthday special. Alma was also kind enough to give us blessings.
 |
| Blowing out the candles proved to be more then Enoch's bruised little ribs could handle |
- After they left we grabbed our bags and went to our third hospital of the day; however at this point it seemed like we were walking into a 5 star resort. The hospital was quite and calm, the nurses were expecting us, my nurse heard my story, looked up my labs, and assured me that she has seam multiple women shake when they faint and that I surely hadn't had a seizure. After an hour of testing I was sent on my happy way confident that our little boy is still happy and healthy.
I am confident that Enoch 28th Birthday will not soon be forgotten, it will probably turn out to me the most expensive day of our lives (thankfully we have insurance so hopefully our portion isn't too bad) However, we feel extremely blessed to both be ok and that we didn't have to have the baby under those wild conditions. In fact I hope this baby decided to wait a few weeks so Enoch's can use his right arm more.
Enoch was going to start work this week, but it looks like he will be waiting a few more weeks, he takes his licensure exam in next week so it will all work out anyway
 |
| The aftermath |
 |
| 2 days later |
 |
| 3 days later |
HOOOOOLY COWWW! That is a serious battle wound. What a crazy day. And happy belated Enoch!
ReplyDeleteGood grief! I can't believe that all happened in one day! I'm glad you're all okay and that nothing more drastic happened. I can't wait to hear when that baby of yours comes, but I'm glad it wasn't yesterday!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I am glad all three of you are okay (you, Enoch, and baby)! What a crazy day. Poor Enoch looks pretty beat up. Although painful, this is a sweet story of how you two take care of each other. Miss you both!
ReplyDeleteThis is the craziest story ever. I am glad all three of you are safe. I hope E heals fast so he can hold his little boy in a couple weeks!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh Marissa! I'm glad you're ok! Everything is probably way scarier when you're pregnant. Poor Enoch, that looks so painful!
ReplyDeleteWhile reading this story, it reminded me of my parents' story when my mom was 8 months pregnant with my oldest sister, which was her first baby too...
ReplyDeleteMy dad was finishing his degree and working very early mornings milking cows on a neighboring farm. (They did things like that back in the days when they had cows for neighbors.) One morning, one cow decided she didn't like my dad and kicked him. hard. in the face. He was out cold and sent to the hospital. My mom was notified and rushed to the hospital to meet him.
While there, the doctor was stitching my dad up and stuffing gauze up his nose (it was broken pretty badly). My mom said the doctor kept shoving more and more and more and more gauze up my dad's sinuses. The more that went up, the woozier she felt. Her blood pressure dropped and yes... she fainted. And just like that there are two patients in the same room.
Of course everything was just fine and my sister was not born that day. It's now just a funny story my parents tell every now and then. And now you have a very similar one! Ha!
Oh my word! That is a serious battle wound! Poor Enoch. What a horrible, and a little funny, ;) birthday. So glad you are both okay. Can't wait for bebe boy to arrive!
ReplyDelete