Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Education Crisis

After five major changes, denied entrance to the dietetics program, getting married, and moving to California, I have learned some things in life require flexibility. Education has been one of these areas for me. This past summer I stewed over what direction I should proceed in- should I continue in Dietetics and brave the 3 years it would take? Should I still graduate from BYU and major in Exercise Science through independent study & transferring credit from Cal State Northridge, should a get a masters degree? You get the point, it felt like each day brought a new major, a new field to investigate, different schools to learn about, more indecision, and a bigger headache.
So I decided to stick with my original plans and continue in dietetics. I made beautiful excel spreadsheets to show Northridge's department the classes I have taken and how they fit into their program. I emailed countless professors to receive the "secret code" to be able to register for their classes. I researched program requirements, internships.... yet no one would help me. This is where I learned the term budget crisis. They do things different here- Professors don't work in the summer and now things are way worse with the introduction of "furloughs." Needless to say upon arrival at CSUN I was quickly discouraged with the prospect of retaking GE's and jumping through the hoops of public education. I sat and cried in a classroom alone and made the decision- I am graduating from BYU in Exercise Science. I finally felt peace after a summer of stress and frustration.
The first three weeks of school were crazy fighting culture shock and a new system to get used to, but miraculously I was able to add the 3 classes and 2 labs I needed. I literally begged the professors and had to prove that I was a graduating Senior in every class in order to complete this incredible feet. Yah for persistence and sticking it out.
You may ask yourself, what can you do with a Exercise Science degree? I have not idea, but I am seriously contemplating getting a Masters in Health Administration. It is a two year program and I could potentially manage Enoch's future Physical Therapy practice. Who knows how it all will go down, but I know it will be a wild ride.
To end my long story, It is the twists, the turns, the walking in the dark, the open window in the attic, the extreme joy, and the pain that build character. I sure do appreciate Enoch as well as my family for supporting for listening to all of my crazy plans, and laughing and crying with me throughout it.

8 comments:

  1. Well there's always peace when you're doing the right thing :) I hope you remember this when things get rough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying in classrooms--been there done that. I'm so glad it worked out for you--seriously, I felt at peace at the end of this post :) I wish I had plans for a masters degree--I'm coveting you as we speak. Oh,and to answer your question, Jon's going into education administration. He wants to be a university administrator.
    Love your blog. And love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Marissa! Your're way to awesome! Good luck with what ever you do!... just come vistit me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its awesome to have that feeling of finally knowing what you want to do, or, at least know what you are supposed to do to bring peace. Especially with how things are in your life right now, happy but busy and confusing. New and like everything is still a little up in the air. Barry and I pray for you guys a lot and think of you even more. Thanks for still posting. I am always dying to know what you and Enoch and Mary and Tom are up too. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moo! I am so glad you found my blog so that I could find yours! I had no idea you were in Cali! What a crazy time for you! It sounds like you are getting it worked out though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moo! Thanks for the comment on the marathon. Funny story...I actually ran with your dad for about 5 minutes and chatted with him. Then I ran into your mom and dad at the finish. It was awesome! I'm so excited for you in all that you are doing. For me, education is always a crisis! Good luck and it was great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I was in that class! We were the cream of the cream of the crop remember! :) Hope California is treating you well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marissa,

    I totally understand the sweat, blood, and tears shed over the education issue! It is SO frustrating. I am jealous that you have everything figured out for you. That is wonderful news. Congrats, and good luck moving forward--I guess that is the only way we find out what we can do with what we've got!

    ReplyDelete