Anyhow when Enoch expressed a desire to plant a garden around our tiny home this spring the memories of all the hard work flooded back. However, I suppressed the desire to run and I have really begun to love our little garden. Each morning and evening we carefully inspect our row of peas to see if any new little friends have cared to join us and we already have two little tomatoes starting to grow.
I suppose the whole garden thing must run in the family- my Grandpa Bradshaw is the master gardener. Every year without fail he plants rows and rows of goodness, even after a stroke he keeps going- gardening is sacred. My dad and grandpa every year still boast if they planted their peas before the other or if they got the first ripe tomato.
First we had to clear the land, aka take out two terrible trees (easy to remove, but messy)

We pretty much filled the green waste garbage to the max
Here is our well prepared soil after planting the peas. Since we only get so much sun in that area we opted for planting a green pepper and tomato plant in pots
And now for our little pea friends growing up and stuff
We pretty much filled the green waste garbage to the max
P.S. I felt it was only fitting to refer to our garden as our victory garden, referencing the depression/ World War era and the council to plant your own garden- since after all we are seriously poor college students in a economic downturn.
I am so jealous! I totally agree, gardening was the worst as a kid. I don't think it's of any value until you realize that buying all that produce can put you in the poor house when you could have grown it yourself for pennies. Love the victory garden.
ReplyDeleteY'all are so good. I'm too lazy to take on gardening. I realize how much my parents tried being self-sufficient as we were growing up, doing gardening and living off of food storage. :P Maybe one day I'll get there ;)
ReplyDeleteWow, Marissa! Are you going to paint rocks so you'll know what row to weed everyday? Good times!!!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Maroo! Your garden looks so cute. Do you have to water it much or is California rainy enough? We can't wait for you guys to visit. Just two more weeks!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are so lucky, I can't wait for Mike and I to be able to plant a garden! :)
ReplyDelete