Friday, March 5, 2010

Do you have what it takes to pass a BYU Independent Study Class?

Do you enjoy staring at a computer monitor for many hours at a time? Can reading a textbook keep you awake and alert for more than 3 pages? Do you enjoy being alone? Can you stay focused for longer than 15 minutes? Do you enjoy paying $15.00/hour to take exams? ....
If you answered yes to any of these questions you are
1-a better person than I am
2- you may need to seek professional help
3- you may have what it takes to survive BYU independent study courses

This semester I am taking four independent study classes. I have to finish two by April 1st and the second two by August. I knew it was going to be ugly... but I had not idea it would be this ugly. Basically I read the chapter in the textbook, a few comments by the teacher on the subject matter, and then I take a speedback quiz, then repeat. Sounds easy right- yah right. For me it is nearly impossible to actually remain awake while trying to read, not to mention textbooks with the oh so interesting topics of "persuasive rhetoric" or how about "theory and evidence in cultural anthropology."

I swear we have gone back to the dark ages in these courses, why can't BYU progress a bit and start having podcasts or video recording of the teacher teaching- why I read every blooming word in my textbook on my own . There is a better method of learning, I am sure of it.

For all those who have the luxury in sitting in a class to learn please appreciate it for me. I don't care how boring the teacher is, would you rather read the book- seriously point taken. I realize some of the world may be more accustomed to the whole theory of actually reading your textbook, but for us science majors (or maybe just Enoch and I) I have yet to reach that point in my educational experience where the book is more valuable than the notes.

This too shall pass- graduation will be even sweeter because of my trials in moving to California, begging teachers to add me to their classes at CSUN, and taking these blasted online classes. (P.S. I remain seriously grateful for BYU in their flexibility so that I can graduate, I just think there is a better way to structure independent classes)

7 comments:

  1. Marissa--I feel your pain! I took three Independent Study classes at BYU and they were oh so painful and monotonous.
    -Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I just finished the coursework for my first class. I have been procrastinating it for over a year if that tells you anything about how tough it is to find the motivation for these babies. Marissa, if you need motivational support, I am so here for you. We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have the self-discipline to do online classes. I had to take one as a requirement at BYUI... not very fun. It is totally a set up for procrastination. I would just rather not do the reading at all! I agree with you on podcasts and what not. For reals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to all your woes. Independent study was torture! Hang in there. Try not to procrastinate. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing online classes too. I am a person who really benefits from due dates--and seeing as that doesn't always exist in independent study, I am forced to finish the whole class in the next six weeks.
    I'll start it sometime this week....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only took one independent study class and it was enough to kill me. They are NOT fun and people should be grateful they can actually go to class. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep it up Marissa you are almost done. Also I read more of your posts. I love the frugality one. It was so true. I miss ya and hope to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete