On Sunday I was brought into the Bishop's office and I received a second calling, I am now the new Nursery Music Leader along with being the Relief Society Music Leader. Enoch also represents our family in the music callings and he is the Junior and Senior Primary Chorister for those you didn't know. Truly we are both a little shocked, we never thought we were this musical, but in our small ward you get these opportunities, so we do whatever is asked of us. My new favorite thing is hearing Enoch constantly practicing primary songs and brainstorming ways to keep the kids entertained every week, he is so cute. As for me, I better brush up on head shoulder knees and toes and songs of the like.
For all those who take pity on us, feel free to pass on any memorable activities/ words of encouragement for us.
I've never heard of a NURSERY music leader! They just make us do it! We've been in the nursery pretty much since September. It's been a trial (mostly for me), but I can see why Heavenly Father put us there. Just remember that even though those kids aren't singing along, they do love music time. We always put them in a circle of chairs so they can't escape. ;) and usually we have enough adults to keep the trouble makers strapped down ;) Consistency is key... eventually they start singing the songs. Some kids are still learning how to talk, so don't worry if they don't sing with you! :-D Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHa ha when Chase and I were in nursery, the music leader had a little glove that she had velcro-ed frogs on and they sang, "Five little speckled frogs, sitting on a hollow log...." and she took one off each time. The kid that was being the "best" got to hold the frog! Ha ha they loved it! Good luck M!
ReplyDeleteNursery music leader--love it. Matt and I were in the nursery for a while here..and they have their own little song, "Jesus made a Giraffe" to the tune of "Once there was a Snowman." Because there's no snow here, they improvised. Pretty funny. Maybe your nursery kids know it too! : ) -Stacy
ReplyDeleteYou will love it! Some fun things that our ward does are: Make a poster with some velcro things that you can take off, like snow flakes, or a sun with rays that you can take off. Write the songs on the part you can take off. Then have the kids (the ones who are being good) come up and choose one to take off, then sing the song that is on the one they picked. They love to take it off.
ReplyDeleteTell Enoch to check out the blog: thecrazychorister.blogspot.com. My sister was the primary chorister and said this site was a life saver and had a lot of cute ideas.
Loved your comment on my blog. It's good to stay in touch with you! We should get everyone together next time you are around. Hope all is going well!
Wow that is so cool. You were always musical Marissa. I am actually glad my mom "encouraged" music for all her kids. It is such a talent the church needs. Could you imagine primary without music. Enjoy the callings.
ReplyDeleteI consider you musical Riss, don't worry. :) I bet those nursury kids just LOVE you!! Nursury's my fav - the kids are just so darn cute and happy. Though of course, I've only visited and I doubt its like that all the time. :) Um... and I miss you too!! When are you coming here? Or maybe Teece and I need to visit LA, visit you guys, hit up Disneyland, all that. Love you friend!
ReplyDelete